The Trinity where there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
our short study is set out easily for you to get more into the Bible. The illustration that goes about various sermons on the Trinity where people try explaining the trinity as “Water in liquid form as a vapor being steam or as a solid being ice.” To get a proper understanding there are many scriptures in the New Testament to show you.
When we read out Bible we see three different names with all of them are God.
- God the Father
- God the Son
- God the Holy Spirit
- The word Trinity
Trinity isn't found in the Bible, but it is a major doctrine with its idea and truth, written throughout the Bible.
- The name of God
The name of our God in the Old Testament Hebrew scripture is Elohim which is a plural noun, plural means three or more. It is mentioned 500 times in Moses books, the Pentateuch which is the first five books of the Bible.
In the creation of Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God Elohim created the heaven and the earth. It is interesting that God didn't create God the son and God the Holy Spirit, they co-existed from before creation began.
In the creation of man in Genesis 1:26-27 26 And God Elohim said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness... 27 So God Elohim created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. So, God in the unity of the trinity created us humans in Gods perfect image. Beautiful isn’t it!
- Trinity in the Old Testament
Interesting looking at Genesis 2:4 the first reference the LORD God, notice LORD is in capitals. This is the personal name of God, in Hebrew it is Yĕhovah and English it is Jehovah used 6,519 in KJV scriptures.
Look at Genesis 11:5-7 concentrate on verses 5 and 7, this passage is on the tower of Babel where the whole earth was one language and the people came to the land of Shinar and made bricks to make a tower that would reach into heaven. In verse 5 the LORD Yĕhovah comes down to see the city and tower and sees nothing will be restrained from them, nothing is impossible for them to create. Look at verse 7 Go to or come, let us go down, you see the word US this is Jesus and the Holy Spirt that God is speaking to calling them to come down and confound or confuse the peoples language and scatter them abroad.
So we see.
- Tri means Three
- Unity means one
- God is three in one.
- Trinity in the New Testament
Passages of scripture that have the trinity in the New Testament of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit together.
- Matthew 1:18-23; 3:16-17; 4:1-4; 12:18; 12:28-32; 28:18-20
- Mark 1:8-12
- Luke 1:35; 3:21-22; 4:1-3; 12:10
- John 1:32-34; 3:34-35; 4:23; 6:61-65; 14:16; 14:26; 15:26; 20:21-22
- Acts 1:4-8; 2:17-21; 2:33; 2:38-39; 4:29-31; 5:3-9; 5:29-32; 7:55-60; 10:38; 10:44-48; 11:15-17; 15:7-11; 16:6-10; 20:21-24; 20:27-28
- Romans 1:1-4; 8:2-3; 8:9-11; 8:14-17; 8:23-34; 14:17-18; 15:12-13; 15:15-17; 15:30
- 1 Corinthians 2:1-5; 2:8-16; 3:10-16; 6:10-11; 6:15-20; 12:4-6
- 2 Corinthians 1:21-22; 5:5-10; 23:14
- Galatians 3:10-14; 4:4-6; 5:21-24
- Ephesians 1:3-14; 1:17; 2:18-22; 3:5; 3:14-17; 4:4-6; 4:30-32; 5:18-20
- Philippians 3:3
- Colossians 1:3-8
- ! Thessalonians 1:2-5; 5:18-19
- 2 Thessalonians 2: 13-14
- Titus 3:4-6
- Hebrews 2:3-4; 6:4-6; 9:14; 10:29
- 1 Peter 1:2; 4:14
- 2 Peter 1:16-21
- 1 John 3:23-24; 4:2; 4:13-14
- Jude 1:20-21
- Revelation 1:4-5; 14:12-13; 19:10
Places in the New Testament when it mentions Father, Son, and Holy Spirit being distinct Persons.
- Father as God in Philippians 1:2
- Jesus as God in Titus 2:13
- Holy Spirit as God in Acts 5:3–4